Prominent men of Yonkers organized the Palisade Boat Club on October 16, 1866 for the purpose of fostering wholesome sport, recreation, sociability and communal activities. The club was subsequently incorporated on March 2, 1868. A large, two story, clubhouse was constructed in late 1869. Much of the boathouse utilized ‘tree nails’ in its river style construction. The club was originally located atop of pilings, along the Hudson River, at the foot of Gold Street within the City of Yonkers. The Palisade Boat Club was renowned for ‘six-oared’ sculling crews, winning many annual regatta events whose banners still adorn the Club’s interior walls.
In 1910, the Penn Central Railroad had need of the club’s property and offered relocation to a northerly site known as Dudley’s Grove along the city lines of Yonkers and Hastings-on-Hudson. On Saturday, August 13, 1910, river pontoons were used to relocate the boat club to its present site. With the completion of the nearby Metro North Greystone train station, the club lost what little road access it had. Today the Club can only be accessed by an overhead pedestrian footbridge, or by Hudson River waterways.